Michele SimonOf Counsel
Michele Simon’s practice focuses on food and beverage marketing compliance. Michele has 20 years of experience in food and beverage law and policy.
She offers legal advice on federal regulatory compliance for labeling and marketing, going above and beyond just the letter of the law. Michele stays on top of the latest developments in federal regulations including from FDA, USDA, TTB, and FTC, and regularly writes and speaks on these topics. Michele is also the founder of the Plant Based Foods Association, and specializes in helping plant-based food companies navigate regulatory challenges.
In addition to her law degree from University of California, Hastings College of the Law, Michele has a master’s degree in public health from Yale University. She is admitted to practice law in California. Michele is based in Oakland, California, where she enjoys year-round local farmers markets.
Michele’s services include:
- Comprehensive label review for FDA, USDA, and TTB (alcohol) compliance
- Compliance with FTC Act and California consumer protection laws
- Marketing claims review for legal compliance and beyond
- Recommendations for certifications such as organic and gluten free
- Becoming eligible under USDA guidelines for federal programs such as school food
- Compliance with emerging regulations such as menu labeling and revised Nutrition Facts
- Compliance with industry self-regulatory standards such as the National Advertising Division
- Rapid responses to competitor complaints to self-regulatory bodies
- Rapid responses to attacks by advocacy groups, food bloggers, or media
- Rapid responses to adverse legal action, such as FDA warning letters for marketing claims